INA 319(a) Naturalization after 3 Years

If you are married to a US citizen, you may be able to naturalize after 3 years (instead of 5) of permanent residence. In that case, all of the other requirements apply, except the time period is changed.

You must meet the following criteria:

  • Are 18 years or older
  • Have 3 years of continuous residence as an LPR (no absences from the US more than one year, and preferably none more than 6 months)
  • Have been a resident for at least 3 months in the state in which the petition is filed
  • Have been physcially present in the United States for at least one half the 3 years of continuous residence
  • Have had good moral character for the 3 years of residence
  • Read, write, and understand English at an elementary level
  • Know the fundamentals of US history and government
  • Support the US Constitution
  • Be willing to bear arms or perform work of national importance on behalf of the United States when required by law

In addition, you must have been married and resided with your spouse during the full three-year period. Divorce or physical separation will make you ineligible.

Comments are closed.